With so many people these days by driving to their holiday destination, we at Wanaka Tyres & Auto thought we would point out some summer car care tips, that you should consider before heading out for your summer getaway.
If you haven’t had your car in for routine maintenance in the last few months, try and get it into the mechanics shop a week or so before you leave on your trip. It’s better to catch a problem now than at 9:00 pm in the middle of nowhere. Have your mechanic check the following:
- Air Conditioning system. Nothing is worse than sitting in traffic in a car with A/C that doesn’t work. Especially if it’s a sunny day, which as Murphy’s law would have it, is the weather when your A/C decides to fail on you
- Cooling System. If you haven’t had the cooling system of your car flushed recently, do it now. This will help prevent your car from overheating
- Check your belts and hoses for cracking and have them replaced if necessary
- Change your oil frequently. Most engines in new cars have longer oil change intervals than cars from a few years ago. Follow your manufacturers guidelines and make sure that you hang on to the receipts
- Check or replace your filters.
- Check to make sure that your lights are functioning properly
- Replace your windshield wipers. Wanaka Tyres & Auto recommends replacing your wipers 2 times a year – once before winter so you have a new set to get you through bad weather, and once in the spring to handle those rain storms
- Inspect your tires. Make sure that your tires are wearing evenly and that they do not need to be replaced